With the current pandemic weighing heavily on the UK, many people are thinking about their health and wellbeing more seriously. A healthy immune system is something we should all strive for all year round, it’s important (now more than ever) that our bodies are functioning well in order to fight germs and viruses. Read on to learn how to boost your immune system naturally with water.
There are so many ways how to boost your immune system naturally, including:
- Regular exercise. By exercising regularly, you can help cells work to the best of their ability, and improve blood flow (which can reduce stress and inflammation).
- Sleeping well. Creating and implementing a sleep schedule can help boost your immune system because the proteins you release during sleep can help to reduce stress and inflammation in the body.
- Eating a well-balanced diet.
- Adding probiotics to your diet. Probiotics help to restore balance in your gut. They’re also known to secrete substances inside your gut that can help prevent illnesses.
All of the above can help when it comes to boosting your immune system naturally, but one of the easiest ways you can implement change is by drinking plenty of fluids (especially water). Your body needs electrolytes and fluids in order to function properly, but this is especially important when you’re ill and suffering from symptoms such as diarrhoea, a high temperature, or other inflammation.
Correct hydration can help with recovering from an illness and especially in beating bugs and viruses. If you suspect you’re dehydrated, it’s worth trying to add more water into your daily life. You can do this in a few ways:
- Use a refillable water bottle. Ideally, the bigger the better. Many bottles are now big enough to carry your daily required intake, so filling the bottle up once and drinking it casually throughout the day is a sure-fire way of getting enough water into your system. Drinking water in this way can also help the environment by reducing the amount of single-use plastic from disposable water bottles.
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day. This is popular advice and can help with introducing more hydration into your system. If you need reminding of your daily water intake, it could help to add reminders on your phone.
Why Is Water Best For Hydration
Although there are drinks dedicated to hydration and electrolyte replenishment, ensuring that your intake is steady and regular is key to consistent hydration and immune system health. If you suspect that dehydration is causing headaches and fatigue, then it might be best to talk to your doctor or pharmacist about rehydration sachets.
Although many of us enjoy fizzy drinks, both standard and diet, replacing them with water is better for us in the long run as it reduces sugar intake and the risk of any nasty tooth decay.